Thursday, April 25, 2013

All Dogs Go To Heaven





On Sunday, April 21, my family had to say goodbye to a long standing member of our family:


Emme, or adorable minature-toy poodle.



I have never actually had a pet for as long as we had Emme. She was the first dog who we raised from puppyhood. I remember a time when she was too small to even get out of the bathtub. And as it seems, a pet like that gets inside your heart and becomes more than just an animal.




From fancy tricks, to painted nails, long walks with mom, and bad hair cuts- Emme was one of the girls. My Dad has always said that he was the lone man in a house full of 5 girls: my mom, my sister, me, Emme, and Marble (our cat). She was very intelligent, always happy to see you, but notorious for being able to sniff out a tasty treat through purses, backpacks, and plastic bags. 




After a lot of thinking, reflecting, and more crying than I expected- I was left feeling more than just a little bit homesick. In the midst of this, I realized a few things. 

1. People in Costa Rica (and probably other Latin American countries for that matter), don't see pets the same way we (Americans) do. I felt like it would have been looked upon oddly to tell my co-workers that I was in such a strange funk because my dog had passed away. However, while they're keeping away fleas and tics, they're also keeping away a family friend who doesn't hold grudges or look at you funny if your hair is a mess. They're missing out on a friend who will give you sincere unconditional love. 

2. Sometimes I just want to freeze time and enjoy where I am a little longer. But no matter how hard you try, life keeps moving whether you like it our not. Emme was a part of my childhood. She was a part of my adolescence and young adulthood. That part of my life is over and I can't go back. And as much as I want to, things keep changing and life keeps moving.

There is only one constant and consistent that is worth holding onto with all your might.


"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." 
Hebrews 13: 8

When everything in your life is like sand slipping through your fingers-- hold fast to this truth.

“For I am the Lord, and I do not change." 
Malachi 3:6




(Alright, lets be honest...maybe she wasn't the best at playing with dogs who weren't her own size)




But she was still our Emme, our Ami Amour, our loving friend.











And lastly, just a little comic relief.



1 comment:

  1. kopiene klokker til salgs, kombinerer elegant stil og banebrytende teknologi, en rekke stiler på kopiene klokker omega til salgs, går pekeren mellom din eksklusive smaksstil.

    ReplyDelete

Write me a note!

Follow on Bloglovin